Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Tuesday, October 21, 2014.

I wondered, the past few days, if he were still alive, what my father would be thinking, if he knew I was repairing this building, the old vocational technical school.  Near the end, we would watch antique hunter type television shows and all those pawn shop type shows.  I bet now, he is just shaking his head.  On one hand, he would have tried to steer me away from doing it, wishing me not to get hurt (not physically, but internally.... you know, have my heart broken if it did not succeed or work out as planned.  He was the quintessential 'Plan B / take it light' guy).  Now though, knowing what he would be knowing?  No, he would still be cautioning me..... but then...I can picture him, his pointer figure to his lips in thought.  He would give me advice.  And it would be in the form of "Have you thought about what color door you're going to paint?". Or better yet (and I still have not solved this one):  "Flag pole.  An armory needs a flag pole.  Where is the flag?".
Yeah, Pop.  I know.
Then he would ask about the roof.  "Who's going to do it?  You are NOT going to do it yourself.". I would tell him, then he would have a story about the roofer's mom whom he probably had taught in school.  I would show him pictures from on top, denying the whole time I was up there so as not to worry him. Then we would laugh.  Yep, I think...I think he would be slyly proud.  And I would tell him my adventures...
It's funny though, life.  Had he been alive, I probably would not have done it, for a variety of reasons.  None of them valid.  The timing of life confounds me sometimes.  Its mystery awes me;  its grandeur is humbling.  All these thoughts tonight as I sanded the door...
The building and I?  We are going to make it.  The roof changes everything.
A miracle. An over-the-top and twice over-the-moon miracle.  I better start believing in them.  For some reason, I think the building is trying to tell me
"You ain't seen nothing yet.."
Now.
Now the business begins. 
A roof.  Changes everything.

Thank you.
Love and Blessings,
stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment