Monday, October 13, 2014

Monday, October 13, 2014
No work on the building today, at least not on-site.  Rain today and as always - I panic, just a bit, even though I realize there is nothing I can do but wait.  And hope.  And pray.  I know there is the whole thing about 'if it is God's plan, then...', but I have to admit to my failing.  I really, really, really want to know what the building will be like, with a roof to keep it dry on the inside.  What will it become?  What will I become in the process?  Where is this path of he and I heading?  Will we make it? And on and on go my questions.  Then I settle down to the fact that 'whatever will be, will be' or better stated:  "If it is God's plan... just do your best and let the path unfold.". Takes me a bit to get there, but eventually I do.
Yesterday's window work has held up!  There was really no reason it shouldn't, but I cannot help the slightest nightmarish sight in my imagination of driving up to see caulk and primer paint oozing to the ground because they did not set properly.
Nope. All good.
He is quite handsome, is he not?  Still standing.  Roof, still there.  Leaking? Yes, to be sure, but we live on.  I know, I know.  How many times do you have to repeat this process, Steph?  I know, I know.  But call it what you will, I cannot help it and it is the honest to God truth.  Every rain I hold my breath.  Last winter, every snow (and we had some doozies) I would check on it, half panicking, half looking for some sign that the building and I - a journey together - was not meant to be.
The roof had always been my benchmark, my line in the sand, if you will.  The cost of replacing a collapsed roof along with damages it may cause to the other parts of the building structure I knew was something I could not handle - either emotionally or financially.
Roof.  Roof. Roof.  I wonder what it will be like, when the roof goes on....

Reminiscing about the journey and worrying about the roof did cause me to look at my collection of paperwork from the summer.  I wonder at why the summer's work was paperwork and meetings...  I have not looked at the papers in what seems like forever.  So I check:  the roofing contract proposal I signed with a down payment on the ninth of July.  (yep, over a month prior to my actual ownership).  Risky, but I had to. 

Even now, this early in the journey, the roof contract and looking at it now causes me to grin and shake my head in disbelief.  Want to talk to a roofer?  No, scratch that - the roofer?  Well, you can if you climb up on the roof he is working on.  Scared of heights? He asked.  No. Nope.  I will be there.  And then he shows me the roof, his trade, his workmanship.  How could I not climb up there?

On July 4th, on the holiday itself, we climb up on the roof of my building.  Walk just where I walk, he instructs.  Definitely, I had thought.  Over the ridge of the peak of the roof and out to the sides.  Stay away from there, he points out.  Yep, definitely.  And I have to admit - it was a blast!  Scary, but there I was.  (I wanted so badly to look over the side by the chimney.  There was no reason to, but I crawled.  I figured I was pushing my luck!  But to sit, back against the wall, looking around at rooftops and over the side, in the summer. Oh!  Nothing like it!). As the song goes, "What a wild trip it's been."

I look over the paperwork stating the city's and my agreement, the conditions of the sale of the building.  These two pieces of paper dated June 25.  And they are not just two pieces of paper.  Today I look at them to check the conditions of the phasing of the improvements.  I have been so focused on Phase I which is due January 1, 2015, that I had not really given to much thought to Phase II.  Driving today, after looking at the building in the rain, wondering what it will be like when the roof is on, my head jumped to thoughts of the next phase.  What will it be like to have ten months of time to plan and work?

Heaven.  Heaven I tell you.  The next phase is window replacement on both street sides by October 2015. (Right now, as I write, I am imagining and am pretty sure I will be dreaming about it while I .... sweep!!). I also dream of the ecstasy of a dumpster alongside the building during the winter so that I can start clearing the bigger pieces of cinder block and old ceiling tiles.  Heaven times two.

Oh, back to the agreement with the city!  I look at those papers, remembering meetings.  Speaking at city government meetings.  Working on proposals and plans.  I cannot believe it. I just shake my head in disbelief. Timing.  Paperwork signed with the city only after they released the then current owner from obligations to demolition the building.  The City Council had to... no, it was the Common Council.... no, it was the Council at Large (?)....oh, wait, plus it was meetings with the Redevelopment Authority committee... in order to work out the plan.  Seriously.  I never in my wildest dreams imagined a) the necessity of meetings in order to buy the building and especially b) me ever being at such meetings.

I found there really was good reason for all those steps.  (I am not a meeting person, you know?). I never knew about zoning and building codes.  Still don't.  Not entirely at least.  I know some of them.  Most importantly:  I know I need to know and I know where to find the answers as I go along.  For example, I did not know I do not need building permits if I am improving an existing structure.  Add on?  Yep, then I do.  The list goes on and on....  Tax districts.  Car counts.  Parking restrictions and allowances.  I have to say:  Pretty bleeping cool.

Sigh.

For now?  I scrape.  I caulk.  I paint.  And I really have to learn how to cut glass.  But as I do, I dream of...... Parking allowances, Phase II windows, and the coming heavenly work of tossing cinderblock in a handy dumpster!

Life is grand.

....Roof....roof...roof...

Thank you.

Love and Blessings and good dreams....

~stephanie
PS.  Almost forgot ~ with the paperwork and the summer?  Learning how to be bonded, performance bond... aka "what happens if you do not meet the phases" ....  It was like planning to fail. "What? A contingency for failure?". Not.a.motivational.moment.  But reality...  With the experience of the bonding insurance (by the way, never came through... had to cover potential expenses another way), brought the lesson of "how badly do you want this?". And that question grew into "how will you feel if you don't?".  And that question morphed into - finally - "what is in your heart?  Is this a path of heart?". Yep.  It was quite a summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment