Thursday, October 23, 2014

Thursday, October 23, 2014.
Hello!  Signage, a beginning, my way!

Signage, my way..Just seeing the name together, physically, with the building structure itself, feels not quite like a step forward, but more a feeling of leaning forward.  (Leaning forward, while figuring what that next step will be).
Impact of the roof news?  Well the answer to that question is many fold.  For example, reality is that the wonderful wonderful news of the coming roof repairs (the materials have been ordered - can you believe it?!), come the necessary peripheral repairs.  I was prepared for most of them - the brickwork on the chimney (check - got it) and the interior rafters and carpentry work (check, check - got that one too)..... but then came the news (yep, you knew there would be one 'oh, oh') that the roof drains would need to be looked at.  And a reality check again because it is not like a person has a checklist.  This development resulted from the question, "I wonder about the roof drain pipes.... three roof drains, where are the pipes?"
Laugh.  Go ahead.  Shake your head in disbelief.  And a person has to laugh.  Albeit nervously, but there is no alternate to fixing it.  A person has to look at it only as another solution is needed.  My goal was the roof.  Roof it is.  Roof.
Anyway, tracing the pipes from the roof drains led to cracked pipe, another pipe behind a repaired brick wall section and last - this is the good one - the third pipe, or rather question of its condition resulted in the answer.." what pipe?"
Call a plumber.
Gulp.
Not that there is nothing wrong with plumbers, but I did not have this "solution" on my horizon.  He has been a godsend, to tell you the truth because he has called the city works department to find out where the water pipe, sewer, and runoff piping (? - storm sewer?) are located.
*sigh*
I call this a 'character building' or 'learning' opportunity.  I did not even swear.  Out loud.  What do you do?  Will it cost?  Yes, it will.  But my theory is this:  I can do this once, as best as I can.  I cannot afford to repair a roof, then ignore major problems, only to backtrack to do it all again.  Once.  As best as I can.
Talk about learning on the fly though!  I could be scared at the danger of it all because I get nervously close to disaster, but I am not.  I have great people working on these major parts of the building.  I am learning!
I am loving this time of the renovation!  What is the impact of the roof?  I find myself returning to the work of the business - at least in my head.  I have not even thought about any practical business matters since I have owned the building as the real preservation work involved in the phase agreement with the city took precedence.
Now I can dream of five year plans, business plans, taxes, designs, city codes, and above all.... what do I see, what do I really want..... five years down the road?  How do I get there?
And then, I write out, for the first time, his name on a sign....
Matthias.  The Lucky One.
Actually, I am the lucky one.  I do not know why I have been so blessed with such a journey, but I have.
Time to dream.

Thank you!
Love and Blessings.
~stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment