Sunday, October 5, 2014

Sunday, October 5, 2014
Ahhhh. Huge sigh of relief, coupled with hope.... and a bit of laughter.  I spent quite a bit of time at the building, ending with a late night walk through upstairs to shine light on the underside of the roof.  My thoughts?  Really?  I am surprised there are no bats - I mean, if I was a bat, I would want to live there (keep your comments to yourself....)!
Seriously though I am amazed at how a bit of progress can lift ones spirits.  I feel hopeful that the weather-sealing work can be finished before January.  Not only finished, but along the way I can keep learning about the hands-on work, keep studying the building as I go along, and keep making progress toward preserving the building and dressing it up.
In order to remove the bullet-hole ridden security-type window pane, I needed to smash it in order to get it out.  Surprising how tough glass can really be.  And surprising the extent to which I do not like to smash things (I kept apologizing to the building.  Yeah, I know).  Got it out though...


I now have one complete window (the right side)....
I think I pushed the limitations of temperature when caulking because hours later, when I was looking for my putty knife (left on window sill - ugh), the putty had oozed down the window like marshmallow crème.  Time for reputtying ala fingers.... seemed to have held - morning will tell for certain.  Still, I am thrilled!  You can see right in - which is daunting in some strange way, but all along I wanted to open up the building so everyone who wished to see 'him', could do so.  I think by doing so, the building reveals its character, what it is meant to become.

Some of the wood framed windows - the main level, double hungs - have dropped from the upper frame due to the age of their internal weight and pulley system.  I won't even attempt to repair them or learn about them this year, but I decided to cover the gap with wood interior trim boards. 

Now here is where I usually come face to face with my idea versus reality versus my abilities.  Sawing trim board.  Nailing.  Hmmm.... Let's just say "It's been awhile.". Clumsy is not even close.  By the time I got to nailing the first and only trim board I got in place, I laughed.  I laughed as I bent nails. I shrieked when I realized I could easily miss the nail, sending a hammer through the glass.  Eventually?  Did it.  Not with super do-it-yourself finesse.  But did it.  And it looks pretty doggone good.

As I worked, this October day quickly darkened into evening.  As I walked in and out, on one of many 'oops I forgot' trips back to my work area inside, my eyes caught, for the first time, the building being lit up.  It looked.... He looked.....

Alive.

 
Isn't he positively charming / vibrant / alive and tough?
 
Happiness.
 
May you be Blessed.  Love.
 
Thank you!!!
 
~stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment