Saturday, October 4, 2014

Friday, October 3, 2014.
Among the worries and fears and doubts (and.... rain - ugh!), today delivered relief.  Actually relief is not quite the right word because I did not even realize the extent to which I needed a positive sign of some sort.  Looking back over the past five weeks I had been so focused on the looming winter and the equally worrisome Phase I deadline, I just kept thinking about what I can realistically do, then charge ahead.  Do it. Don't get sick. Do a bit of research, then do it the best I can.
The good news?  I believe I have someone who will build carriage doors for the Genesee Street side garage door.  Did I ever share with you the historic photo showing the carriage doors?

 
 

 I was quite surprised to get the phone call, then the visit for measurements and discussion of materials!  Oh man, was I happy.  Thrilled.  I felt a glimmer of hope again.  Not that I seriously doubt the renovation will work or that someday I will see the business housed here, but once in awhile a person needs an umpf!  There is plenty of elephant to chomp upon.... sharing the effort feels good, especially when we are talking craftsmanship.  And that is where I draw my line of limitations.  I am no carpenter or woodworking craftsman.  The carriage door is a piece of the puzzle that someone else held.  As I told them, I could install a standard garage door (and I still might have to...I don't count my chickens.... you know?).  But if I have a chance to put in place a historically correct door, one that truly does honor the building, then I should pursue it! Yes? Yes.
I just hope I have my timing correct.  In the time it takes to plan, prepare, and create the door,  I am hoping the roof will be replaced.  Hope. Hope. Hope.  Have faith, have faith, have faith.  Take care of it, take care...... manage it, Steph.  Manage it. 
I was reminded of that lesson today as I talked with the craftsmen.  The building and this project - this 'beyond-a-project' project humbles me.  A great deal.  Early on I was amazed at how I needed to stretch beyond what I knew of myself in order to save the building.  I don't even like to say 'save' because the building is actually the one which saved me. At least that is how I look at it.  I feel like God put me on this path to learn a bunch - and I mean a bunch - of lessons.  This path of loving a building so much that in order to not see it ripped apart, I had to stretch... reach... fail... think... feel... and most importantly... go on.
Anyway, one fear I had early on was that I am no leader nor manager despite my studies, an MBA, my age and my life experiences.  Nope. Not a classic manager.  But as I visited the building and swept inside and dreamed and carried-on with daily life, I began to think:  what is a manager?  What is a business owner?  Why am I doubting?  What are you, Steph?  What do you do?....
I care.  I care for things.  I have taken care of people.  I took care.  (I did not state I always did it well..). But like anyone, you just do what you do.   Is that not what a manager is?  Management implies care. So, I must learn it, revise it, better what I do.... in order to succeed.  And success here means.....  The dream.  The dream of the business, here, located HERE.... in this building... this grand brick, perfect size, building.. Matthias...
Insert huge *sigh*....
Yep, a lesson in management.  As soon as I start crowing on and on about it though, I catch myself.  Passion is countered with the realities of scraping windows...
Yet, it is no fun scraping without passion.  So management ala' me might be a balance of humbled passion and realities of scraping, puttying, and painting.  And the grandest of timekeepers (especially in Wisconsin):  Mother Nature.
Autumn..... tick tock, Steph.....the alarm is set for Winter....
How did I get so Blessed with this path?  If there ever was a tailor-made journey of lessons, this is it. 

So, we will see.  This path is no short journey.  Years.  That is what I like about it.  There is no way to do it fast.  Both the building and I need a great deal of work... and those efforts and the results from them, those are only accomplished with time.

 Time, and a bit of magic!
(Ok, and putty.....)

May your weekend be.... sweet.  It's the weekend!  Blessings and love. God's peace too. And grace...
~stephanie



No comments:

Post a Comment