Saturday, September 27, 2014

Saturday's writing ~ Saturday, September 27, 2014.
So Step, how many windows did you get in today? Um, zip.... Turns out that I need to measure better... but, I overestimated which is a good thing.  Trip to hardware store.  And that is never ever a bad thing!
Plus, it was "one of those funny things".... because had I not needed to go to the hardware store for a glass cutter, I never would have conversed, asked questions, and came away with  these little metal brackets I will need to putty when I fix some of the wood frame windows.  Makes total sense too.  Of course those panes would need brackets to hold them tightly in their frames.
Unfortunately, by the time I returned to the building to trim the glass, I realized I needed a snip / cushion type pliers-thing.  (I wish I had a better memory - I remembered the steps:  1) Score the glass - just once, no more, 2) Tap, tap, tap along the cut .....and here is where I goofed... I imagined just snapping the glass.  No!!  3) Grab the glass with the pliers-thing and snap it quickly with a good, strong jerk.
Live and learn.
I was thrilled - thrilled - thrilled today though to get the first pane out of its metal frame.  It is really goopy.  First I cut the existing caulk with a utility knife, then scraped it out.  Sometimes, more like chopping, but eventually the pane could pop out.  I started on the alley side of the building, on one of the panes which had been replaced with Plexiglas.  I figured just in case, I am not near a sidewalk and I am not starting on what could be old, brittle glass.  Plexiglas seemed like a safe trial run - a good practice to get my method in place.
Part of the thrill was cleaning the exposed metal frame.  I chopped the old caulk, scratched it with a metal brush, then sanded it.  When I saw the nice grey/silver sheen of steel.... man, oh man, nice!  Of course I had already sliced open the tube of caulk before measuring, only to realize:  Um, oops, measured wrong.  And just ever so slightly wrong.
I had only ordered five different panes.  Once I replace with these new pieces, I will order more.  Glass is surprisingly heavy!  Just a bit at a time, but steadily.  As I replace individual panes I will clean that particular window in total.
I took measurements for the tempered glass in the doors.  Yeah, I know.  Measure three times, Steph.  Hopefully early this week I will hear if the individual wishes to build my carriage doors.  In the original building, the west-facing garage door was actually a carriage door (I am thinking three panels..).  The roof and the carriage doors I would like to be my big expenses for this first phase of renovation.  The windows and the other doors I am hoping to fix myself.  Hopefully...
*Oh - my color inspiration of the other night?  Mmmmm.  No.*

Huge, huge news:  The metal trusses for the roof?  There are four! Four!  Why did I not see that before?  Four. Four. Four.  I am so excited.  They are beautiful and...80 - 85 feet long, west to east wall, the ends being braced by the masonry walls themselves. Oh! They are gorgeous! I even videoed them!  (Still debating whether or not to upload the video..) All along I had taken pictures of the 'x's' created by the tension rods between the trusses, but I had failed to see that there were four! 

Maybe I will upload the video tomorrow...

Oh - and a package with material samples of architectural windows from friends!  I call it more 'dreaming material'!!!

Lessons of the building today? Enjoy it.  Just enjoy it...

Thank you.  Love and Blessings!
~stephanie

The building needed a cross.  I received it from friends years ago - Sweet!
 
 

Not only did I get the Pexiglas window out, but the top window can now open!


First sight of nice metal!





No comments:

Post a Comment