Wednesday, September 10, 2014

419 West Main Street ~ Merrill

Hello!
Definitely not grumpy this evening.. The roof:  Survived.  Water is everywhere on the inside, having leaked from the roof, then following any open spot between the floors to drip down to the main street level.  The rained water outlines any cracks and any gaps between pipes and concrete, resulting in a map or almost ready-made to-do list in the concrete.
Oddly enough - the rain, while once it depressed me as I would walk around the building, taking note where water flowed off the roof, dribbling down the sides of that beautiful dark reddish brick - I now see that it actually helps in my efforts to scrape windows.  It could be the water-logged wood framing popping up the paint or.....I am not sure!  Whatever the case may be, as I have beefed-up my arsenal of paint removal devices and chemicals;  perhaps the simple, straightforward rain is the most effective. (A person has to take those wins when they come!!)
I am rethinking the Main Street door.  Even a rough refinishing of it for this winter - just to see what could be done.  I would like to see if I could restore it myself.  (Actually making it functional might be another story, but for this winter - who knows?)
 
I have to say:  I love the work.  The more I scrape, the more familiar I get with the construction and the details of the building.  Its characteristics.  I still have thoughts of knowing every brick.  I mean, as ridiculous as it sounds, why would I not make that one of my goals?  I could draw out the metaphor further, but I know when I am nearing "borderline.".
Or perhaps I have crossed that border eons ago?
It's lovely.  Just the whole thing.  The building. The process. The worry. The dream.  Never in a million years would I have even dreamed or dared to think of such a journey.  And here it is.  Here it is.
I am incredibly fortunate.

*I am not sure why, really.... but as I scraped, I had a funny feeling.  I mean, here it is the first blast of chilly air, we just had tons of rain, water is everywhere in the building.  Logically I should have been down in the dumps..... and yet... "Building? I think we are going to make it.."
 
This part is the juicy stuff - the handiwork.  But just as usual, the building keeps my efforts in check, balancing the dreamy work of scraping and cleaning with the necessary work of paper.  "Tomorrow," I tell myself.  "Tomorrow is time to begin more phone calls, paperwork, and plans."
 
If I follow the building's nudging to accomplish the dull stuff....I might get a bit of time for the "dream work."
 
May your day be so Blessed.
 
Thank you.... And Blessings!
 
~ stephanie
*(I remembered where I had these photos - taken earlier in the summer, of the interior second floor.  I hope you can get the feel of the building from these shots!)
 
Second floor / Main Street & Genesee Street

Second floor / Main Street & Genesee Street

Second floor / Genesee Street & alley

Second floor / alley, looking to the south, southeast. (Personally, I picture a kitchen / dining area, if residential.)

Second floor / alley, looking south, southwest.  This is where I started "setting up shop" on the second floor! I love this room!

The stairwell / south side of building.

Second floor / Main Street.  It looks rough, but it is actually in decent shape.  I always pictured work area or drafting table in the far, small space created in this room by the north stairwell behind the wall.


The hallway upstairs, looking north.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment