Saturday, September 13, 2014

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Hi!
Welcome to more of the story!  Today has nothing to do with window scraping ~ in fact, no scraping at all.  But a lot of thinking.  And weeding.  Seemed like two activities perfectly designed for each other.
A couple thoughts occurred to me that I believe pertain to the story and of course I must write about them;  if for no other reason than compensation for my horrible writing.  I feel as though I have not done justice to this grand building.
I have written in prior posts, either directly or indirectly, that the building has taught me many lessons already.  I know how crazy that sounds, but it is part of this unbelievable journey.  I have been tap-dancing around certain issues, like that, because it sounds, to put it bluntly, "fruity".  But if I do not write honestly about the building, then what's the point?  It does not mean I need to "spill my guts," but it does mean.....well, as I was opening windows, I wondered why I am blogging.  Of course, part of the business plan is this blog.  But if that is the only reason, then does that not change the story?  Is that what the story of this building is about?
Partially.  I mean I have to be realistic.  But if I blog about the building, if I tell its story only for that purpose, well, that misses the whole point, does it not?  The building has never been about economics even though that may be both the downfall of my plan and is the truth behind survival in business. I do not know.
But that is not my dream.
My dream is my life ~ a life I envisioned with this grand building.  I cannot write to sell.  I have to tell the story.  (I promise to keep the ranting to myself....and, I promise to be courteous!)  But the building has taught me this (and I have to say it in such a manner - think of me as you wish) ~ standing proud, standing all these years....the building was the building.  It was.  It stood.  It stands.
(Augh! That one hit me hard!)
Continuing....
The building stands...It was an armory, then a school, for goodness sake.  Then it stood.  All these years.  How could I possibly write about it only for monetary gain?  Please.  Do not think I am snooty about it all.  No, the business end of things is important.  And, all of this could be my undoing.  But those types of thoughts are fading.  Every person who has lasted with their own business says the same thing:  There is no maybe;  you have to make it.  Have to.  I, for some reason, am lucky enough to have a chance to make something work with the building.  It is a dream and I have a chance.  Not only that, I have a chance at "the dream."  "The dream" means doing it my way!
That is why I weed.  You see, either I weed or mow or weed-whip or chemically eliminate overgrown and unwanted / scruffy foliage.  It had to be done.  I chose weeding.  The interesting thing about such a process is the time.  It takes time.  Perhaps now you can see why I love the building and its lessons. (I have to insert here that I have my doofus moments - it is not all bricks / architecture / art / philosophy.  For example, last night as I am dancing around the building, I did step on a nailed board...I pondered how up-to-date I was on my tetanus shot!  Today? I took off gloves to weed for a bit - it was then I discovered some itch-weed or whatever it is called...Ok, plus I came pretty close a few times to flipping a shovel end up in my face...visions of prolonged dentistry visits danced through my brain!)
Anyway, back to it:  I looked at the wall by the empty lot.  I am ashamed to admit I had made fun of it, calling it the turkey wall in reference to the cause of the fire in the neighboring building years ago (a deep-fried turkey device....I will leave it at that).  Today I looked at it.  I had been avoiding it. It. It. It. It.  Today I saw the wall.  "Make me beautiful..."  I, personally, am too old for challenges.  Usually.  But today, as I was weeding, I looked at this wall and this space, the extra lot.  Nope, this space is precious.  It's mine.  And it's going to be beautiful....
I have so much more to write... I even have a second point, but I think I should wait for a window scraping day!!
To conclude for today, I just want to say thank you.  And, please, please accept my apology.  This building deserves so much more than lip-service. So much more than the 'usual / usual.'  I am sorry I sunk to that.  I mean there will be plenty of notes about the facts because there are tons of facts - its 21,000 square feet of facts!
But to me......this building.... It was the first time I followed my heart.  It taught me to follow my heart.  (yep, tears right now...).  And what faith means...
Thank you.  ....Blessings!
~stephanie
...make it beautiful...

..it's handsome!

happiness....dustpan...
 
Windows ~ historical / industrial..

..seeing the "trees and the forest"


No comments:

Post a Comment